Benoît Jacquot faces justice, Jacques Doillon released

Benoît Jacquot faces justice, Jacques Doillon released
Benoît Jacquot faces justice, Jacques Doillon released

Benoît Jacquot presented to justice on Wednesday, Jacques Doillon released

In the case with Judith Godrèche, Benoît Jacquot remains in police custody before a possible indictment on Wednesday, while Jacques Doillon is released without charge.

Published today at 8:53 p.m.

Subscribe now and enjoy the audio playback feature.

BotTalk

Filmmaker Benoît Jacquot, accused of sexual violence by actress Judith Godrèche, will be brought before the courts on Wednesday after 48 hours in police custody, while Jacques Doillon, also accused by the actress, was released without charge, AFP learned on Tuesday from sources close to the case.

The two filmmakers, who contest the accusations, were summoned with their lawyers on Monday morning to the Brigade for the Protection of Minors (BPM) and placed in police custody.

Jacques Doillon’s lawyer, Marie Dosé, confirmed to AFP that he had been released without charge. She declined to comment on the decision.

Benoît Jacquot will therefore spend a second night in police custody before being presented to a judge with a view to a possible indictment on Wednesday morning, said a source close to the case.

Rape of a minor under 15

The two filmmakers were questioned in an investigation by the Paris prosecutor’s office opened for rape of a minor under 15 by a person in authority, rape, violence by a cohabitant and sexual assault of a minor over 15 by a person in authority.

The lawyers of Benoît Jacquot, Julia Minkowski, and Jacques Doillon, Marie Dosé, denounced the attack on the presumption of innocence of their clients during their hearing.

Jacques Doillon “should have been heard in a free hearing given the age of the facts, their statute of limitations acquired for more than two decades, and the inevitable dismissal without further action which will close this investigation”, stressed Mr Dosé.

Mr Minkowski deplored “all of these dysfunctions of justice, thanks to excessive media coverage which leads to unacceptable excesses”.

Two other complaints against Jacquot

The investigation was triggered by Judith Godrèche’s complaint. The 52-year-old actress had publicly accused Benoît Jacquot of rape and then Jacques Doillon of sexual assault in early February, triggering a new storm in the #MeToo movement in French cinema.

Mr. Jacquot and Ms. Godrèche, born in March 1972, began their relationship in the spring of 1986. They lived openly together until their separation in 1992. For the actress, these were rapes in a relationship of “control” and “perversion.”

Regarding Mr. Doillon, the actress accused him of “putting his fingers in her pants” during tests for a film released in 1989. She was 15 at the time and was with Benoît Jacquot.

Two other actresses, Isild Le Besco and Julia Roy, have also filed complaints against Mr. Jacquot.

Newsletter

“Latest news”

Want to stay on top of the news? «Tribune de Genève» offers you two appointments per day, directly in your email box. So you don’t miss anything that’s happening in your canton, in Switzerland or in the world.

Other newsletters

To log in

AFP

Found an error? Please report it to us.

0 comments

-

-

PREV Attack on Hamas military leader: ‘no certainty’ he is dead, says Netanyahu
NEXT Jegou-Auradou case: “They are not mixed with other prisoners”… FFR President Florian Grill discusses the situation of the two players