Moroccan strawberries in the Top 10 of world leaders

Moroccan strawberries in the Top 10 of world leaders
Moroccan strawberries in the Top 10 of world leaders

Summer is knocking at the door, bringing with it its many delights, including strawberries, one of the fruits most loved by young and old. Despite calls for boycott and various rumors, Morocco maintains its leading position in strawberry production. In 2024, it will be among the top ten producing countries of this rosacea fruit. However, in terms of export value, Morocco does not display a particularly remarkable performance.

With their alluring red color, mouth-watering taste and distinctive fragrance, strawberries are a favorite of many nations. According to data from World Population Review, an American site specializing in demographic issues, Morocco ranks among the ten largest producers of this fruit. Producing 166,955 tonnes of strawberries per year, the North African kingdom has firmly established itself among the world leaders in this sector.

Global demand for strawberries continues to increase, with China, the United States and Egypt occupying the top three spots in global strawberry production. Over the past year, China produced 3,336,690 tons of strawberries. FAO data reports that China has held the top spot in strawberry production since 1994. In 2023, the United States, in second place, produced 1,055,963 tons of strawberries. Egypt slightly edged out Mexico for third place, producing 597,029 and 557,514 tonnes of strawberries, respectively. Turkey follows closely with 546,525 tonnes of strawberries this year. Spain, Brazil, Russia, Poland and Morocco come next, producing between 272,550 and 166,955 tonnes of strawberries.

Agricultural experts report that “farmers are growing more strawberries to meet growing global demand for the world’s 19th most popular fruit. Although strawberry production in the above-mentioned countries remains strong, increasingly unpredictable weather and catastrophic climate events have damaged and destroyed strawberry crops, causing demand to exceed supply in some regions.”. Since strawberries are a delicate crop requiring precise harvest times and immediate refrigeration for shipping, most of the world’s strawberries do not travel far from their place of origin in the absence of adequate refrigeration resources and in transportation.

According to data from the specialist portal, in China, only three provinces account for more than 60% of the country’s strawberry production: Hebei, Shandong and Liaoning. In California, 90% of strawberries in the United States are grown, while Florida, Oregon, North Carolina and Michigan produce the remaining 10%. In Egypt, the regions that produce the most strawberries are Ismailia, Beheira and Qaluobia.

In temperate zones of the northern hemisphere, the majority of strawberries ripen in early summer. Areas closer to the equator benefit from a longer strawberry growing season, so if adequate transportation and refrigeration infrastructure exists between the fields and the final consumer, strawberries remain available on the market even during winter months. For example, consumers in the northern United States can purchase strawberries from Mexico throughout the winter.

Strawberries, like blackberries, peaches, apricots and cherries, belong to the rosaceae family, and they continue to gain popularity around the world due to their versatility and high nutrient content. A serving of eight strawberries contains more vitamin C than one orange. They also contain impressive amounts of other nutrients such as potassium, manganese, iron, calcium, magnesium, folate and other antioxidants. They also have a low glycemic index, which means eating a bowl of strawberries generally doesn’t cause a blood sugar spike in most people.

-

-

PREV follow the nineteenth stage between Embrun and Isola 2000
NEXT PHOTOS – “From aficion to collection”, the new exhibition at the Nîmes Museum of Bullfighting Cultures