Russian Defense Ministry claims capture of six villages in eastern Ukraine

Russian Defense Ministry claims capture of six villages in eastern Ukraine
Russian Defense Ministry claims capture of six villages in eastern Ukraine

The Russian Defense Ministry declared on Saturday May 11 that its forces had taken control of six villages in eastern Ukraine. This announcement comes atA day after Russia launched a surprise ground offensive in Ukraine’s Kharkiv region, home to five of the villages Russia says it has “liberated”. The last one is located in the Donetsk region.

“Intense” fighting, according to the Ukrainian president. Late Friday, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky reported “intense fights” across the entire front line. The Ukrainian Defense Ministry assured that the assaults in the Kharkiv region had been “rejected” Friday morning, but only “fights of various intensities” continued and that reserve units had been deployed to “strengthen the defense” of the area.

Hundreds of people evacuated. Hundreds of people have been evacuated from areas near the Russian border in Ukraine’s Kharkiv region, the regional governor said on Saturday. “In total, 1,775 people were evacuated”wrote Governor Oleg Synegubov.

New American aid. In the wake of the Russian attack, the United States announced on Friday new aid of 400 million dollars (around 370 million euros), after months of blocking American military support. The Ukrainian president’s office affirmed that it will notably consist of anti-aircraft missiles for the Patriot and NASAMS systems, as well as ammunition for artillery and Himars rocket launchers.

-

-

PREV US pier in Gaza damaged, humanitarian aid suspended
NEXT Putin’s threats and Western cacophony on the 825th day of the conflict