War in Gaza: new episode of tension between the White House and Binyamin Netanyahu

War in Gaza: new episode of tension between the White House and Binyamin Netanyahu
War in Gaza: new episode of tension between the White House and Binyamin Netanyahu

In question, a video in English published Tuesday by Binyamin Netanyahu on the social network

The Israeli Prime Minister reacted to the remarks from Washington on Thursday, declaring: “I am ready to suffer personal attacks on the condition that Israel receives from the United States the weapons it needs in the war for its existence.”

Binyamin Netanyahu is expected in Washington on July 24, in the middle of the campaign for the presidential and legislative elections, to deliver a speech to Congress.

“No other country is doing more to help Israel defend itself against the threat of Hamas and other regional threats,” John Kirby said.

“We really don’t know what he’s talking about,” White House spokesperson Karine Jean-Pierre had already said on Tuesday.

More measured, State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller declared Thursday: “Our commitment to Israel’s security is sacrosanct. We’ve proven that not just in words but in deeds, and I don’t think it’s productive to engage in a public back-and-forth about it.”

Read also
War in Gaza: tensions between Netanyahu and the army become palpable

Bombs

Washington said a single delivery of 2,000-pound (907 kg) bombs to Israel was under review due to concerns about their use in densely populated areas in the Gaza Strip.

John Kirby also indicated that American national security adviser Jake Sullivan would meet his Israeli counterpart Tzachi Hanegbi and Ron Dermer, Israeli Minister of Strategic Affairs, in Washington on Thursday.

The two Israeli envoys also spoke during the day with Antony Blinken.

The head of American diplomacy “reiterated the United States’ unwavering commitment to Israel’s security,” said Matthew Miller in a statement after the meeting.

The American Secretary of State also stressed “the importance of avoiding a new escalation in Lebanon” through a “diplomatic solution allowing Israeli and Lebanese families”, displaced by the exchange of fire at the border, “ to return home,” added Mr. Miller.

The dry reaction from the White House on Thursday is not the first episode of tensions with the head of the Israeli government since the start of the war in the Gaza Strip on October 7, triggered by an unprecedented attack by the Palestinian movement Hamas.

American President Joe Biden makes no secret of his troubled relationship with the head of the Israeli government.

In particular, he publicly stated his opposition to a large-scale ground offensive in Rafah where more than a million civilians are trapped, and threatened to stop certain arms deliveries to Israel if his warning was not heeded.

The war in the Gaza Strip is a politically thorny subject for the 81-year-old Democrat, who will seek a second term in November against his Republican rival Donald Trump.

The ongoing humanitarian catastrophe in the besieged Palestinian territory and the ever-increasing human toll have earned the American president strong criticism from the progressive camp, and from voters of Arab origin.

-

-

NEXT French Legislative Elections: “Nobody Won” Says Macron