Ukraine: more than 4,000 people evacuated in the Kharkiv region

Ukraine: more than 4,000 people evacuated in the Kharkiv region
Ukraine: more than 4,000 people evacuated in the Kharkiv region

More than 4,000 people have been evacuated from border areas in Ukraine’s northeastern Kharkiv region, the local governor said on Sunday, following a surprise Russian cross-border offensive that began on Friday.

“A total of 4,073 people were evacuated,” Governor Oleg Synegubov wrote on social media, a day after Russian forces claimed the capture of five villages in the region.

Synegubov said that on Sunday a 63-year-old man was killed by artillery fire in the village of Glyboke and a 38-year-old man was injured in Vovchansk, a border town that previously had a population of around 3,000. the current offensive.

On Friday, Ukraine said Russia had launched an attack in the Kharkiv region, making small advances in a border area from which it had been pushed back almost two years ago.

President Volodymyr Zelensky said in remarks Saturday evening that Ukrainian troops had carried out counterattacks in border villages in the Kharkiv region.

“Disrupting Russian offensive plans is now our number one task,” he said.

He added that troops must “return the initiative to Ukraine” and urged Kyiv’s allies to speed up arms deliveries.

Authorities in Kyiv have warned for weeks that Moscow could attempt to attack the northeastern border regions, gaining an advantage as Ukraine faces delays in Western aid and a shortage of soldiers.

-

-

PREV Tourism and Travel Development Index: Morocco lagging behind!
NEXT China continues military maneuvers near Taiwan, sending warships and fighter jets around the island