In Gironde, a man indicted for broadcasting a “disturbing” message, “referring to a mass killing” that occurred in the United States

In Gironde, a man indicted for broadcasting a “disturbing” message, “referring to a mass killing” that occurred in the United States
In Gironde, a man indicted for broadcasting a “disturbing” message, “referring to a mass killing” that occurred in the United States

A 26-year-old man was arrested Tuesday near Bordeaux, two days before the passage of the Olympic torch relay, for having broadcast a “disturbing message” on social networks, announced the prosecution, Thursday May 23. He was indicted Thursday evening.

The investigation was opened on May 17 “after a report from the Pharos platform, which had detected a worrying message that could correspond to an apology for crime and referring to the mass killing that occurred in California on May 23, 2014”said the public prosecutor in Bordeaux, Frédérique Porterie, in a press release. “In police custody, the person concerned admitted to having considered committing an act, without a specific location, following an attack he had suffered. No reference to the Olympic flame was mentioned”detailed the magistrate.

Earlier in the day, the Minister of the Interior, Gérald Darmanin, said in a message published on X: “An individual planning violent action during the passing of the Olympic torch relay in Bordeaux has been arrested. »

The individual, Alex G., who lives in Gironde and has no criminal record, was indicted “from the sole head of a criminal association” and placed under judicial supervision by the investigating magistrate, said the prosecutor. The prosecution, which had requested the opening of a judicial investigation for condoning crime and criminal conspiracy, as well as his placement in pre-trial detention, announced that it would appeal this decision.

Read also | Article reserved for our subscribers Paris 2024: in the Pyrenees, a long mountain stage for the Olympic flame

Add to your selections

Video clip

The Olympic torch relay passed Thursday in Gironde between the wine-growing surroundings of Libourne and the urban area of ​​Bordeaux, where the route ended at Place des Quinconces, in the city center.

According to a police Source, the report mentioned a video clip referring to Elliot Rodger, perpetrator of the Isla Vista massacre ten years ago, accompanied by the word: “We miss you Elliot. » A ““gom-cogne” revolver [pistolet non létal destiné à tirer des projectiles en caoutchouc]several cell phones and a computer » were seized by the police during a search of the home of the accused, arrested in Eysines, a town in the Bordeaux metropolitan area.

“According to those close to him, he is very psychologically fragile. However, the designated psychiatric expert did not reveal any particular disorder.continued the prosecutor, adding that the first investigations highlight her interest in the Incel movement (contraction ofinvoluntary celibate (“involuntary celibate”).

The World with AFP

Reuse this content
-

-

PREV DIRECT. Assassination attempt in Nîmes: the trial resumes, one of the accused fled in the night
NEXT A road accident leaves one lightly injured in Larchamp