Hamas says it has agreed to a truce

Hamas says it has agreed to a truce
Hamas says it has agreed to a truce

After Hamas’ announcement, the Israeli army carried out intense bombardments on the east of the crowded town of Rafah, where residents had been urged to leave, according to AFP.

The evacuation should prepare the ground, according to Israel, for a ground military operation in Rafah, which is opposed by many countries, including the United States, Israel’s main ally, and international organizations.

Hamas announced in a statement that it had informed Egypt and Qatar, mediator countries with the United States, that it had “approved their proposal for a ceasefire agreement” with Israel in the Gaza Strip, devastated by seven months of war.

The office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu affirmed that this proposal was “far from Israeli demands”, while adding that Israel would send a delegation “to mediation to exhaust the possibilities of reaching an agreement” of truce.

According to a senior Hamas official, Khalil al-Hayya, the proposal includes three phases, each lasting 42 days, and includes a complete Israeli withdrawal from the Gaza Strip, the return of the displaced and an exchange of hostages still held in Gaza and Palestinian prisoners held by Israel, with the aim of a “permanent ceasefire”.

The UN Secretary-General called on Israel and Hamas “to make the necessary additional effort” to achieve a truce, according to his spokesperson.

“The time has come”

In Israel, the Families Forum, an association of hostage relatives, estimated that “the time had come for all parties concerned (…) to transform this opportunity into an agreement for the return of all the hostages”.

“Hamas’ ‘yes’ will increase pressure on Israel (…) to reach an agreement,” said Mairav ​​Zonszein, analyst for the International Crisis Group (ICG).

In Rafah, which has become a refuge for more than a million people, the majority of whom are displaced, was the scene Monday evening of scenes of joy and shots in the air after Hamas’ announcement of a truce.

Indirect negotiations led by Qatar, the United States and Egypt, aimed at achieving a truce associated with the release of hostages held in Gaza in exchange for Palestinian prisoners, began on Saturday in Cairo but ended on Sunday without advanced.

Hamas demanded a definitive ceasefire while Israel said it was determined to destroy the Palestinian movement in power in Gaza since 2007, considered a terrorist organization by this country, the United States and the European Union.

Despite international objections, Benjamin Netanyahu promised to launch the offensive on Rafah, whatever the outcome of the negotiations, the Israeli army affirming Monday that it was essential to “destroy the last four battalions” of Hamas.

In this perspective, she said she had started “a limited-scale operation to temporarily evacuate people residing in eastern Rafah”, estimating the number of people concerned at “around 100,000”.

“Terror and panic”

In leaflets dropped on eastern Rafah neighborhoods, the Israeli army warned that it was “preparing to act forcefully against terrorist organizations” and asked residents to “immediately evacuate to the expanded humanitarian zone of Al -Mawasi”, about ten kilometers from Rafah.

“Residents are evacuating in terror and panic,” Ossama al-Kahlout, a Palestinian Red Crescent official in eastern Rafah, told AFP, adding that the designated areas were home to around 250,000 people.

“Thousands” of people left eastern Rafah, he later added.

Residents told AFP they learned the news after a night punctuated by Israeli strikes. Some were packing their belongings, in their tents flooded by heavy rain, or piling them into trailers.

The “massive evacuation” of part of the population is “impossible” to do in a “safe” manner, underlined the spokesperson for the UN Secretary General, while the UN High Commissioner for human rights considered the evacuation order “inhumane”.

Washington, Riyadh, Amman and Paris have repeated their opposition to the offensive on Rafah.

In a telephone interview, US President Joe Biden reiterated on Monday his “clear position” to Mr. Netanyahu against any offensive in Rafah, according to the White House.

-

-

PREV The price of these headphones is so low that one would think there was a pricing error on this site
NEXT Nouméa airport will remain closed to commercial flights until June 2