Surge in toxic mushroom incidents prompts urgent warning from SA Health

Surge in toxic mushroom incidents prompts urgent warning from SA Health
Surge in toxic mushroom incidents prompts urgent warning from SA Health

As the cool, wet weather takes hold in South Australia, the emergence of wild mushrooms, including the deadly Death Cap variety, has prompted a stark warning from health officials. South Australians are urged to exercise extreme caution and avoid consuming wild mushrooms due to the significant risks they pose.

The ideal growing conditions have led to a noticeable increase in the appearance of mushrooms across various locations, including parks, private gardens, paddocks, nature reserves, and forests. Such conditions often result in the proliferation of Death Cap mushrooms or Amanita phalloides, which are highly toxic and potentially fatal. Distinguishing these poisonous varieties from edible mushrooms is notoriously difficult, even for experts.

Health authorities report that even a small ingestion of Death Cap mushrooms can result in severe illness or death, highlighting the importance of vigilance, particularly with young children and pets who may find these fungi intriguing. According to the Poisons Information Centre, around 40 percent of mushroom poisoning calls last year involved children under five. The risks have been underscored by recent statistics showing a 13 percent increase in mushroom-related inquiries in 2023 compared to the previous year, and hospital referrals due to mushroom poisoning have more than doubled.

Chief Public Health Officer, Professor Nicola Spurrier, emphasized the dangers of consuming wild mushrooms. “There is no reliable way of telling if a wild mushroom is safe to eat or not, so my very clear advice is to not take the risk — don’t eat wild mushrooms,” said Professor Spurrier. She further advised that mushrooms should only be purchased from a reputable Source such as a supermarket or green-grocer to avoid the risk of poisoning.

For those who have consumed a wild mushroom, it is critical to seek immediate medical attention. Delaying treatment can be life-threatening, particularly as some toxic mushrooms, including the Death Cap, can cause severe liver damage with symptoms that may take up to 24 hours to manifest.

Dr Teresa Lebel, Senior Botanist-Mycologist at the Botanic Gardens and State Herbarium of South Australia, warned of the allure of mushroom foraging, particularly in places like the Adelaide Hills. “We know people like to go to areas like the Adelaide Hills to look for wild mushrooms, but it’s very important to know that if you cannot reliably identify a mushroom, it’s not safe to eat,” she said. Dr. Lebel also recommended that anyone who encounters a suspected wild mushroom should take photos or preserve a sample to assist medical professionals in identifying the species involved.

SA Health advises the public to visit their website for further information on mushroom poisoning. In cases of suspected poisoning, individuals are urged to contact the Poisons Information Center on 13 11 26 or dial triple zero (000) in life-threatening situations. Pet owners should similarly react promptly by seeking immediate veterinary attention if their animal has consumed wild mushrooms.

-

-

PREV [NASA HQ News] NASA Awards Expand Research Capabilities at Institutions Nationwide
NEXT new rains and more and more displaced people