Évreux. Big and small history of the Abattoirs

Évreux. Big and small history of the Abattoirs
Évreux. Big and small history of the Abattoirs

By Sophie Bordier
Published on

May 1, 24 at 11:00

See my news
Follow La Dépêche Évreux

While butchers were still killing animals at home, Emperor Napoleon decided, in 1810, to impose strict regulations on the profession. The risks of slaughtering practices concerning hygiene, public health and animal movement in the towns.

The institutionalization of slaughterhouses intensified after the cholera epidemic which, in 1832, decimated more than 100,000 people in France. In public opinion, hygiene is becoming a subject of importance, particularly in large urban centers undergoing industrialization.

An order of April 15, 1838 suppressed these particular killings in the cities, requiring the construction of public slaughterhouses. Their aim is to enable the control over meat qualityto prevent the dangers of animal slaughter and to guarantee public health by concentrating animals in the same place. surveillance and cleanliness measures.

The siting and construction standards are strict: the building must not be erected near homes, the land must be large enough and close to a river so as to allow the flow of blood and rubbish downstream and near access roads to the city to avoid herds crossing. High impermeability of the scalders is also required, helping to confine the activity in an enclosed space. Nothing should escape unchecked for fear of contamination.

Pound and repeat

The slaughterhouses of Évreux (Eure) are built on this model. The idea was born in 1819. In 1825, it was decided to settle in a place called Argence. Several series of deliberations, plans and estimates followed, but the City did not have the financial means to carry out the project before 1878, when a public inquiry was launched.

The plans drawn by Gustave Joanne are validated and the man is authorized to take action in 1879. But he goes bankrupt in 1882. Jules Tabanon was appointed to succeed him, but he also went bankrupt the following year. “ At this time, a building surface of 830 m2 was approximately completed, a scalder rose 2 meters above the ground, the foundations of the gutters were made as well as those of the side walls.we learn from the Municipal Archives of Évreux.

The City got involved and completed the work on its own in 1888. A tallow foundry was added in 1889. Over the years, other developments completed the equipment (a pigsty, a sheepfold, sheds for wood and straw, etc.) and modernized it (lighting, electricity, water, boiler room) until 1969. In competition with other structures in the department, notably Le Neubourg and Bernay which are ahead of them, the municipal slaughterhouses of Évreux see their activity declines until close their doors in the late 1970sninety years after their commissioning.

Videos: currently on Actu

THE municipal technical services settled there in the years that followed, then the municipal pound. At the same time, to meet the demand of musicians Black Mariathe municipality led by Roland Plaisance will give them the keys to the old enclosures of the pigsty to set up their rehearsal room. They will be the first in a long series…

Source: Évreux municipal archives

Follow all the news from your favorite cities and media by subscribing to Mon Actu.

-

-

PREV NHL: Former Maple Leafs Ron Ellis dies at age 79
NEXT Ligue 1: podium, Europe, maintenance… the challenges of the 33rd day