the history of the old Limoges velodrome

the history of the old Limoges velodrome
the history of the old Limoges velodrome

Did you know that cycling enthusiasts had a place dedicated to this practice north of Limoges in 1903? This episode from the past of the town of Haute-Vienne can be discovered in the archives of the Paul Colmar photo library.

At the beginning of the 20th century, the kings of the little queen trained in Limoges, at the Champ de Juillet, but the practice conditions proved to be quite uncomfortable, hence the decision to create a dedicated place.

>>

Postcard with the caption “Limoges, Our runners – Winegrower trained by Dussagne.

© Paul Colmar Photo Library

“Superb turns, well packed”we can then read in the columns of the Courrier du Center, in May 1903, the day after the inauguration of the Grand Treuil velodrome, in front of a large audience.

>
>

“Superb turns, well packed”, we can read in the columns of the Courrier du Center, in May 1903, the day after the inauguration of the Grand Treuil velodrome

© Paul Colmar Photo Library

For experts at the time, Limoges had one of the best tracks in France.

>
>

For experts at the time, Limoges had one of the best tracks in France.

© Paul Colmar Photo Library

A 500 meter long dirt track, surrounded by a wooden fence. The site has a stand, although rudimentary, but also a refreshment bar.

After a strong storm, we then decide to lay cement: the races and the sequences will, from then on, follow one another.

>
>

After a strong storm, we then decide to lay cement: the races and the sequences will, from then on, follow one another.

© Paul Colmar Photo Library

On the site, the public will of course be able to follow bicycle races, but there were also other events such as a race with Landes cows in 1909.

>
>

A race with Landes cows in 1909.

© Paul Colmar Photo Library

Another astonishing event, an airplane, a carbon copy of that of Louis Blériot, will land there under the gaze of many enthusiasts.

>
>

Another astonishing event, an airplane, a carbon copy of that of Louis Blériot, will land there under the gaze of many enthusiasts.

© Paul Colmar Photo Library

The site will also be used as a rugby field before being abandoned.

In its place, today stands the Pierre de Ronsard college in Limoges.

-

-

PREV Toulouse: Nodjialem Myaro, a handball legend who became “psychiatrist” of TFC and Creps
NEXT Pro D2: staff, recruits… announcements from US Dax president Benjamin Gufflet for next season