More social housing in new construction

More social housing in new construction
More social housing in new construction

Quebec is reaching out to developers to include social housing in their buildings by offering them a credit of $2,500 per year per unit for five years.

“We are sparing no effort to find innovative solutions to the housing crisis,” assured, Friday during a press briefing, the mayor of Quebec Bruno Marchand.

According to the Quebec Municipal Housing Office, 2,500 households are waiting for subsidized housing in Quebec.

“The waiting list has been increasing for two years and the construction of new social housing is not enough to meet current needs and reduce the waiting list,” says the mayor.

This new program is in addition to that managed by the Office municipal d’habitation de Québec, the rent supplement program (PSL). Selected low-income households pay 25% of their eligible gross income. The remaining 75% is assumed 90% by the government of Quebec and 10% by the municipality.

100 units

Quebec City has a housing stock of 5,000 social housing units subsidized by the PSL, of which 1,600 are located in the private sector.

The pilot project plans 100 units for 2024-2025. “We cannot solve the housing crisis with 100 units,” concedes Mr. Marchand, “but if things go well, we want to do more.”

Present at the press conference, the vice-president of real estate development and financing at Medway, Marc-Vincent Morel Girard, announced that his company would include around ten social housing units in Kali.

Located in Saint-Sauveur, Kali already offers nine affordable units out of a total of 55 housing units.

“We had discussed with the Saint-Sauveur citizens’ committee to see how we could integrate housing at more affordable costs for citizens. The new program is a good initiative,” he emphasizes.

A glimpse of Kali, seen from the corner of rue de l’Aqueduc and boulevard Charest. (Quebec city)

Mr. Morel Girard invites promoters to get on board with the project. An information session will be held on July 8.

-

-

PREV Paris: His son is not admitted to two prestigious high schools in the capital, he takes legal action
NEXT Tourist tax rates will increase in 2025 in the Nice metropolitan area