Reindustrializing France by 2035: a difficult but “attainable” ambition, according to Bpifrance – 05/15/2024 at 4:18 p.m.

Reindustrializing France by 2035: a difficult but “attainable” ambition, according to Bpifrance – 05/15/2024 at 4:18 p.m.
Reindustrializing France by 2035: a difficult but “attainable” ambition, according to Bpifrance – 05/15/2024 at 4:18 p.m.

The public bank sets the objective of 12% share of manufacturing industry in GDP by 2035, compared to 9.7% in 2023.

(AFP / SAMEER AL-DOUMY)

We will have to create hundreds of thousands of jobs, increase production, and inject billions of euros of investment into the industrial fabric to reindustrialize France by 2035. A “high”, but “attainable” step, estimated Wednesday May 15 the Public Investment Bank (Bpifrance).

The objective of reindustrializing France, which has no longer been debated since the shortages of masks and medicines during the Covid crisis, requires

to increase more quickly the added value created by the industry

than through services and agriculture, recalls Bpifrance.

The public bank, which questioned 2,800 business leaders and 5,000 French people, sets

the objective of 12% share of manufacturing industry in GDP by 2035

compared to 9.7% in 2023, to achieve balance in the trade balance in manufactured products.

“Anticipate the creation of 600,000 to 800,000 salaried jobs”

This implies, according to her,

gain “233 billion in manufacturing added value”

therefore “to significantly accelerate industrial production” and “to anticipate the creation of 600,000 to 800,000 additional salaried jobs”.

“The step is high but it is reachable”

, commented Philippe Mutricy, director of studies. “The existing industrial fabric represents 70% of the steps to be taken,” he explained, the remaining 30% to be carried out by new projects, French or foreign, for a total of 71 billion euros. On Monday, fifteen billion euros of investment projects were announced during the “Choose France” summit held in Versailles.

While the establishment of factories is sometimes contested locally, 82% of French people say they are in favor of reindustrialization, even if

price remains the first purchasing criterion cited, far ahead of French production.

The most popular sectors nationally are pharmacy and health (60%), followed by electrical and electronics (41%). In terms of representations, the photo of a factory with smoke coming out comes first, and 56% of respondents say they are concerned about the negative consequences of reindustrialization, particularly in terms of pollution. Employment concentrates by far the majority of French people’s expectations (44%).

The potential of employment areas

Several maps also reveal the employment areas where the potential for industrial development is greatest.

“While industrial dynamics are currently developing in the West and the South-West,

the potential for the future seems to be in the North and the East

formerly deindustrialized”, note the authors.

“All territories have potential for industrial projects, but not all can and do not want to attract all projects,” they note.

Given the issues of land sobriety and water resource management,

“the industry will no longer be able to choose its territory as before”

still judges the study, citing its necessary acceptability by the population.

-

-

PREV Fewer pedestrian streets this summer in Quebec
NEXT Rohingya crisis: Advocates urge Canada to rethink strategy