Maine-et-Loire: a participant dies during a rave party which brought together up to 10,000 people, an open investigation

Maine-et-Loire: a participant dies during a rave party which brought together up to 10,000 people, an open investigation
Maine-et-Loire: a participant dies during a rave party which brought together up to 10,000 people, an open investigation

The party turned into a tragedy. This Sunday, a participant in the rave party organized since Thursday in Maine-et-Loire died, the Maine-et-Loire prefecture announced in a press release, confirming information from Courrier de l’Ouest.

According to the press release, the man – aged around thirty, according to Ouest-France – was treated for cardiorespiratory arrest, but unfortunately died on the spot, said the sub-prefect of Saumur, Christopher Carol. The Saumur public prosecutor has opened a judicial investigation. No further information on the potential causes of death has been released at this time.

The undeclared rave party ended this Sunday at midday and many participants had already started to leave the site, located in the small village of Parnay. At the height of the party on Saturday, there were estimated to be around 10,000, with hundreds of vehicles.

200 people taken care of by emergency services and at least ten hospitalizations

Revelers began to flock in the night from Wednesday to Thursday to take part in this event which took neighboring towns and the authorities by surprise. The prefect of Maine-et-Loire, like many departments in the west of France, had nevertheless issued an order prohibiting festive gatherings throughout the long Ascension Bridge weekend.

The prefecture notably denounced the absence of drinking water on the site, a private agricultural land lost in the middle of the vineyards on the edge of a wood, which the rave party took over “illegally and without agreement from the owner”. Friday afternoon, more than 24 hours after the arrival of the first revelers, local authorities had to install a temporary water point nearby, an AFP journalist noted.

The organizers of the wild party have not provided toilets either, according to the prefecture. “They go into the woods,” explained Christophe Carol, recalling that the organizers of the rave party “have obligations” as with any other event open to the public. “Contrary to what I sometimes hear, this type of musical gathering can absolutely be authorized, but it must be declared and organized,” he insisted.

The authorities were also particularly concerned about access difficulties for emergency vehicles. The gendarmes, firefighters and civil security had, however, managed to “protect a red axis” allowing the evacuation of emergencies and around thirty first aiders were permanently mobilized at the rave party site. At midday on Sunday, around 200 people had been taken care of by the latter, and at least ten were transported to hospital, said the sub-prefect of Saumur.

The walls of sound had stopped spitting their decibels, sometimes audible as far as Saumur according to some testimonies, “but for us the party is not over, the sanctions will fall”, assured Christophe Carol. According to the sub-prefect of Saumur, all participants leaving the rave party site are checked by the gendarmes deployed on site and will be fined in particular for participation in an illegal gathering and participation in a disturbance. This is without counting the procedures concerning narcotics, he added.

-

-

PREV one dead and one seriously injured after lightning strike on a football field
NEXT a text adopted in Parliament eliminates two “justices” for women