Entire family infected with rare parasite after eating undercooked bear kebabs

Entire family infected with rare parasite after eating undercooked bear kebabs
Entire family infected with rare parasite after eating undercooked bear kebabs

Six members of the same family were infected. The mishap took place in July 2022 in South Dakota, United States, after several people consumed poorly cooked black bear skewers.

These were served rare to the guests and garnished with vegetables. “Among the eight people who shared this meal made from black bear meat hunted in Canada and frozen for 45 days, six cases of trichinellosis were identified.“, the CDC said.

The latter thought they were doing the right thing by going through the freezing box: the larvae of Trichinella nativa nevertheless resist it.

People who eat wild game meat should know that proper cooking is the only reliable way to kill parasites“, the CDC continued.

A 29-year-old man went to hospital six days after ingesting the skewers with symptoms of fever, muscle pain and swelling around his eyes. He was hospitalized twice in less than three weeks.

It was only on his second visit that doctors were able to learn that he had consumed black bear. They were then able to treat the patient thanks to “empirical treatment with albendazole against trichinellosis” intended to kill worms.

Health authorities then approached the rest of the family and discovered that a total of six of them were carrying the parasite.

Some then said they had not consumed skewers, but only the vegetables that had come into contact with them. All were treated and cured.

-

-

PREV Artix: the SporTiempo room joins the ResoFit network
NEXT Even at 60, go out covered: sexually transmitted diseases are on the rise among “straight people of a certain age”