Renault confirms the end of discussions with Volkswagen

Renault confirms the end of discussions with Volkswagen
Renault confirms the end of discussions with Volkswagen

If the boss of Renault has confirmed the electric Twingo project, it will not be done in partnership with Volkswagen.

The general director of Renault, Luca de Meo, confirmed this Wednesday the end of discussions with Volkswagen to share the program for the future electric Twingo. Reuters reported last week that discussions between the two automakers on this project had ended due to lack of agreement.

“The project, we are going to do it, but for me it was an opportunity to make the project even more interesting,” Luca de Meo told Reuters on the sidelines of the VivaTech show which is being held in Paris.

“My wish was also to demonstrate that European industry could team up, so I think this is a lost opportunity, but there may be others.”

Pan-European “Airbus”

A Renault-Volkswagen industrial tandem would have constituted a first between two European general manufacturers in the “A” segment of small city cars, and embodied this pan-European “Airbus” of small cars that Luca de Meo calls
regularly of his wishes.

The end of discussions with VW does not mean that another partner cannot intervene on the future Twingo project. At the last Geneva Motor Show at the end of February, Luca de Meo said he was “open to everyone who wants to use this platform.” Renault has also always said that the schedule and profitability of its program were modeled on the hypothesis where it remained alone on board.

Most read

-

-

PREV EU-China: surcharge on Chinese electric vehicles is not “a punishment”, assures German vice-chancellor
NEXT the five applications you absolutely must download before leaving