Renault confirms the end of discussions with Volkswagen on the future electric Twingo

Renault confirms the end of discussions with Volkswagen on the future electric Twingo
Renault confirms the end of discussions with Volkswagen on the future electric Twingo

PARIS, May 22 (Reuters) – Renault CEO Luca de Meo confirmed on Wednesday the end of discussions with Volkswagen to share the program for the future electric Twingo.

Reuters reported last week that discussions between the two automakers on this project had ended due to lack of agreement.

“The project, we are going to do it, but for me it was an opportunity to make the project even more interesting,” Luca de Meo told Reuters on the sidelines of the VivaTech show which is being held in Paris.

“My wish was also to demonstrate that European industry could team up, so I think this is a lost opportunity, but there may be others.”

A Renault-Volkswagen industrial tandem would have constituted a first between two European general manufacturers in the “A” segment of small city cars, and embodied this pan-European “Airbus” of small cars that Luca de Meo regularly calls for.

The end of discussions with VW does not mean that another partner cannot intervene on the future Twingo project. At the last Geneva Motor Show at the end of February, Luca de Meo said he was “open to everyone who wants to use this platform.”

Renault has also always said that the schedule and profitability of its program were modeled on the hypothesis where it remained alone on board.

(Report by Gilles Guillaume, written by Blandine Hénault, edited by Kate Entringer)

-

-

PREV Camaïeu will make his comeback with Celio at the end of August
NEXT The first five nanosatellites from the French start-up Kinéis are in orbit